Done and Done-er

It has been a week since we closed on our Naples and now we’re happily moved in, unpacking boxes, and waiting for the final pieces to be installed (i.e., the washer and dryer). They would have been installed last week, but Maryland law requires some kind of flood pan(?) to be installed on the floor under the washer. We already had one installed by the builder, but that would could only support a top-load washer and we don’t have that. This Friday, though, I hope to be doing laundry in my very own, newly outfitted laundry room.

The movers were mostly successful in not messing anything up during the move. The walls suffered a bit of damage, but nothing the 30-day drywall repair can’t fix. The movers also damaged a few pieces of furniture, but they’ll be easy to repair. The biggest struggle of the move was the heat and humidity. The front door had to be open throughout the move, so the air conditioner had to work especially hard to keep the house tolerable throughout the move. In the end, it was a resounding success and nearly everything is where it needs to be. The next big things are to clean the old house for the owner and then to empty the garage of boxes so we can park indoors again.

Within the first 24 hours of being the new house, we received a lot of callers, from Verizon, Restoration Hardware, Sears, a deck builder, Frontline (pest control), Guardian, and more. Moreover, we have started to meet our neighbors and they’re all sweet as can be. Once we get fully settled, I’m sure we’ll make the rounds and learn more about the people in and around the neighborhood.

Closing went pretty much as expected and it was a fairly simple affair. We started moving in the following day (on June 23) and the move lasted until Monday (June 27). The whole-house audio system is up and running and it’s amazing! It was installed yesterday and it we’ve barely given it a break. Using our mobile devices to operate the audio system as well as the security alarm and garage door is like living in Star Trek or something. It’s also easy to use, so we’re happy… everything is perfect and we are relieved everything went so well.

Once we get everything settled and have installed window treatments and cleaned up around the house and yard, we’ll add some photos to remember the early days.

Done and Done-er

One more day…

We are approximately 24 hours away from closing on our new house.


Our new-home orientation/walk-through was last week and, aside from a few final touch ups, we were exceedingly pleased with the outcome. First, though, here’s what the house looks like on the outside:


According to Project Manager Joe, the lawn is in fine shape and will only get better with time and continued watering. However, we have decided not to invest too much time or money in the exterior—except for on hoses, sprinklers, and the cost of water—until we are ready to break ground on our back garden next winter or spring.

Finally getting to see the interior was great, but the house wasn’t quite photo ready since some final paint and drywall touch ups were necessary. Regardless of the tiny paint/drywall flaws, though, the final product exceeded our expectations. The layout of the house is exactly how we envisioned it. Our upgrades also exceeded our expectations. The marble baths, granite counters, carpeted and hardwood floors, kitchen backsplash, whole-house audio system, central vacuum, etc., looked amazing! I don’t think we could have been more pleased. Upgrading what we could, wherever we could, was definitely worth doing and we’re already getting great feedback. I just hope it all survives the move in. I don’t know if I can bear it seeing the movers and delivery guys trying to fit furniture and new appliances in the stairwells… I’m already getting nervous about that…

Following are a few images we took of the kitchen, wet bar, basement, and family room/morning room/kitchen:

The final square footage of our new house, as quoted by our inspection, is just over 4,300 square feet. This offers us plenty of places to hide during rousing games of adult hide and seek.

Oh, I wanted to add that the dining room is GORGEOUS with its wainscoting and crown molding. I took photos, but they weren’t great because I wasn’t holding the camera properly and we still had some blue tape on the walls showing where touch ups were necessary. We will add photos soon of the rest of the house, since we’ll want to remember it as it looked at closing. This means we’ll take a lot of photos tomorrow after closing, since Thursday means that chaos will descend until we’re finally and completely moved in on June 27.

Just one more day to go…

One more day…

T-Minus 22 Days

We stopped by  the new house on Sunday and saw the landscaping, which was installed just days before.


We also learned that the missing shutters (from the top-right window) will be installed soon. Apparently, the building crew ran out of the appropriate hardware. Oops! It took several visits to notice that they weren’t even there (since we were so busy drinking in all the other details).

We still haven’t been in the house, since we’re saving the final reveal for our New-Home Orientation, which happens in 17 days! I can’t wait!

T-Minus 22 Days