So here is what we have to work with for the pre-set plantings:
Pretty extensive!! The tree codes are as follows:
- QP = Quercus Palustris (pin oak / spanish oak / red oak because it turns red in the fall)
- PO = Picea Omorika (Serbian spruce, an evergreen)
- ZS = Zelkova Serrata (Japanese zelkova)
- MC = Malus Coronaria (American crabapple, flowers magenta in the spring)
- IF = Fosters Holly (the neighbors have these on their border with us)
It seems we have some room, but not necessarily a ton, to add trees of our own. If we want two cherry trees, plus a patio, that might take up most of the space. We also can and should plant bushes and such — and for that purpose, this article on “Best Shrubs for a Mid-Atlantic Garden” is an amazing resource.
We have a lot of planning to do, but it’s going to be a fun project to plan. Then of course it will be a lot of work. But worth it!